Case Study Summary:
Gardner Aerospace’s activities include 5-axis machining, turning, sheet metal fabrication, non-destructive testing, surface treatments, final assembly and kitting. Gardner’s Integrated Logistics Centre (ILC) manages the delivery of the Group’s manufactured and bought-in products to its key customers, either delivered individually or as kits.
Various UK Sites
Actions taken to mitigate problems on the shop floor did not deal with the root cause. The same issues and problems were reoccurring causing operational disruption.
- Classroom training in problem recognition and resolution.
- Live problem solving workshops in problem solving techniques and tools.
- Coaching management to underpin the use of root cause problem solving, encouraging involvement of the shop- floor and functional experts.
- Establishing the root cause and implementing solutions demonstrated during workshops.
- Involvement of shop floor employees in problem solving exercises.
- Linked issues on the shop-floor to standard operations.
- Reduced cost of disruption, reduced scrap and customer returns, reduced rework and improved customer satisfaction.
- Gardner Engagement at a Glance.
Problem Solving at Gardner
The Need: Most of the actions taken to mitigate issues and problems on the shop floor were immediate actions that recovered the situation but did not deal with the root cause of the issue or problem. As a consequence the same issues and problems were re-occurring causing operational disruption.
The primary goal was to establish a simple process that the management team and the workforce could use to jointly establish root cause problem solving on a routine basis. The intervention consisted of three steps:
Classroom training in the importance of rapid problem recognition and resolution and the simple techniques that can be employed to deal with structured and unstructured problems.
Coaching several live problem solving workshops to demonstrate the application of problem solving techniques and tools, promoting novel ways of looking at problems and broadening the analysis and range of potential solutions.
MEASURE AND SUSTAIN
Coaching management and defining simple processes to underpin the use of root cause problem solving, encouraging involvement of the shop floor and functional experts.
Establishing the root cause of problems and implementing solutions that prevent reoccurrence was demonstrated during the workshops.
“I assumed that it was my error, producing the wrong hand part and did not want to take part but the session helped identify problems with the tooling that was the real cause of the error”
David Holmes, Shop Floor Operative, Gardner Aerospace
How can Redthorn help my business?
Don’t just take our word for it
Our software supports over 500 engineering and manufacturing businesses worldwide.
Visit the Knowledge Centre for more information or contact us to talk about how we can help your business grow.